The beautiful country of the Maldives welcomes everyone with open arms. Accordingly the Maldives is one of the easiest countries in terms of visa and immigration arrangements.
Any tourist from any nationality is granted a free 30 day visa on arrival to the Maldives. Hence, there is no need for you to undergo any hassle with regards to obtaining prior visa. Once you reach the airport, Immigration personnel will assist you with the visa procedures.
Obtaining Tourist Visa
The free 30 day visa is granted upon complying with the following procedures:
- Visitor should have a valid passport or travel document authorised by a sovereign state.
- Visitor should have a valid return ticket to exit the Maldives.
- Visitor should have the financial capacity to cover the expenses for the duration of the stay or a confirmed reservation from a tourist Hotel or Resort in the Maldives. The financial capacity is measured by US$100 + $50 dollars per day.
The Department of Immigration and Emigration reserves the right to issue a visa for any number of days, not exceeding the 30 day limit. Immigration department reserves the right to deport any person:
- Using the tourist visa to work in the Maldives
- Participates or incites unlawful activities
- Disrupting the political and religious harmony of the country
- Becoming a nuisance to the public
Extending Tourist Visa
The free 30 day visa period can be extended for a further 60 days, totalling 90 days including the original free visa period of 30 day.
To extend the Tourist Visa the following procedures should be followed:
- Extension application should be made through the “Visa Extension Application Form” to the Department of Immigration and Emigration, before the expiry of the free 30 days visa.
- Department of Immigration and Emigration will re-evaluate the financial capacity of the applicant.
- A fee of MVR 750 (Seven Hundred and Fifty Rufiyaa) will be levied for visa extension.